Health Care Statistics
3. Approximately one in five Americans have medical debt in collections, and one third of the population is in debt due to medical expenses according to a study conducted by the Urban Institute.
6. A 2018 study published by Health Affairs shows that "1 in 6 Americans have past-due health care bills on their credit report, a debt totaling $81 billion in all".
7. A 2016 study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveals that 3/4 of insured Americans between the ages of 20 and 65 could not pay their medical bills.
8. A survey performed by the Kaiser Family Foundation and New York Times in 2016 reveals that 1 in 4 Americans had trouble paying a recent medical bill.
9. Of those with medical bill problems, the 2016 New York Times/Kaiser Family Foundation survey:
37% borrowed money from their friends or family
70% cutback spending on food, clothing, or other basic household items
41% said they took an extra job or worked more hours
59% said they used up most or all of their savings
35% were not able to pay for basic necessities like food, heat, or housing
10. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the average deductible is $4,544. This means that families are expected to pay nearly $5,000 out of pocket before insurance coverage begins.